Friday, 2 December 2016

Happy December and the Countdown to Christmas!



Happy December!

Ahhhh, the air outside is getting nippy and I am excited.  I get to pull out the toques, warm scarves, big jackets and oodles of blankets!  This weather is great for reading...with a steamy cup of tea.  I am also feeling a bit better having put up most of my Christmas decorations before December 1st.  Now to focus on making my Christmas cards.  It was great seeing people's faces when they opened them last year, so am really stoked to make them again.  I am in pretty good shape so on to making my Christmas book and movie list.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Charles Dickens)
-I have seen many movie adaptations of A Christmas Carol but my two favourite versions are the 1938 and 1951.  Alstair Sims and Reginald Owens are fabulous in their roles as Scrooge so I usually alternate each year on which movie I watch...and sometimes I watch both...one earlier in the month and the other on Christmas Eve.  Before the days of DVDs and Streaming I would watch whatever version they played on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Chanel) at midnight on Christmas Eve.  This year I will be adding the animation version (2009) starring Jim Carey to my viewing...I saw a few minutes of it last year and I am intrigued. I read A Christmas Carol for the first time several years ago and LOVE the book.  I picked up an audiobook of Laurence Olivier performing the book so am really excited to read this classic again this year. 

LITTLE WOMEN (Louisa May Alcott)
-I feel in love with Little Women many moons ago.  I love the characters and writing so it is very easy to reread this classic.  I will also be listening to this on audio...but have not picked any particular version.  I love the 1933 version of Little Women because Katharine Hepburn is the best Jo in my opinion! I also do like the 1949 version, but can't buy June Allyson as Jo at all.  I am also a big fan of the 1994 version as it features many great actresses and actors.  I have not seen the 1994 version in two years so will probably give that one a go.

A CHRISTMAS STORY (Jean Shepherd)
-I saw A Christmas Story for the first time just last year.  I really enjoyed it and was happy to learn that it was based on a book! And, by great chance one of my groups on Goodreads picked it as the monthly read.  My library doesn't have a copy but there is an audio version (not sure if unabridged) on YouTube I will give a go.

I scoured my book lists and shelves and have added Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory  and also a "sequel" to A Christmas Carol, Charlie Lovett's The Further Adventures of Ebenezer ScroogeA Christmas Memory has also been adapted to a film, so will see if I can find that to watch.  I also would like to read Jo's Boys and Little Men also by Louisa May Alcott if there is any time.  I would also like to read Silent Nights  and  Crimson Snow Edited by Martin Edwards (short stories). 

For movies and shows just some on my radar...How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original animation version), Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, A Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas in Connecticut, It Happened on 5th Avenue, Holiday Affair, Meet Me In St. Louis, The Man Who Came for Dinner, The Holiday, Love Actually,  Elf, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, etc.

Tomorrow I will have a review for SANTA KLAUS MURDER by MAVIS DORIEL HAY.

k (My Novelesque Life)

1 comment:

  1. Would love to contact you directly regarding a new YA novel. If you are interested, please contact me at woowoowhoosh@gmail.com. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete