Friday, 11 November 2016

Flashbulb Friday (Quick Review): Escapism

Found on Pinterest
ESCAPISM: WORDS + PHOTOS
Written and Photos by Candice Lee
2016; 160 Pages
LYC Media 
Genre: poetry, photography, nonfiction

(I received an ARC from the AUTHOR in exchange for an honest review.)
 
★ 1/2
 
 "This is a story about love and loss. This full-color book is a collection of poems and landscape photographs--all written, shot, and arranged by the author.
Composed in the style of a memoir, she shares her experiences through words and photos. This window into her emotions reveals the dark side of love as it narrates the journey through relationships, friendships, it's-complicated-ships, and self-identity. But really, it's a story about finding beauty in pain through growth." (From Publisher)

 For the past year I have been sharing my own poetry and personal essays on this blog and have come to discover a lot about myself.  I have been an extremely private person so putting myself out to the world was one of the scariest things I did.  Yet, it was very rewarding and freeing,  I realize I am not alone and I have an important role in this world.  Candice Lee also put herself out there with this poetry collection, which I greatly admire. Candice also displays her photography which is so gorgeous! I love landscapes so I spent some time just looking at them first.  It's hard to give this kind of book a rating as it's someone's journey in life.  For the photography I would have given this book a 4.5 rating.  The poetry in this book is honest, but at times lacks a bit of cohesion.  It is more like a free flow type of exercise.  Still very interesting to peruse through.

k (My Novelesque Life)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment